Crazed Gardener goes on Harlequin Bug Murder Spree!
When we arrived at my fancy schmancy new allotment yesterday we discovered "it probably needs to be weeded" was a bit of an understatement. We started clearing mainly dead nettle and thistles from the edge of the bed but once we got to the middle we found a small group of rapeseed and kale. Apparently the harlequin bugs got buck wild in the brassicas all winter long. I have a phobia regarding insects. Not squeamishness or disgust, but true fear. Since taking up gardening I've come to regard the whole process as a type of immersion therapy and I've certainly made huge progress when it comes to the variety of bugs I can tolerate and how bold I can be when it comes to dealing with them. I don't actually like to kill anything and have learned the importance of allowing some of the bad bugs to stay because it will encourage their predators to move in and take care of the situation. But there where hundreds of the damn things! They had to go. I'm not gonna lie and say there wasn't some screaming and hysteria, but in the end we got dozens of them squooshed all along the edge of the bed as a warning to their kind. Do not come here anymore harlequin bugs. Once the horror show was over... we got much done. Ian hauled weeds out to the dump site while I forked over much of the bed with compost and blood meal. He took soil tests & painted markers while I planted a couple strips of mixed companion/ornamental plants (borage, marigolds, nigella, basil & nemesia) and dug trenches for potatoes. In the end we planted 4 rows of onions & 2 trenches of potatoes and in theory we'll go back in a couple days to plant corn, melons & sweet potatoes. Now if only could find the stupid adapter so I could share the photos.