It's that time of year again. Something about the fall makes me go a little crazy. I suddenly get the impulse to go on a cleaning spree. Now i'm not normally a messy person, and so while i would say my house is a mess, most people would call it clean, and i do most regular cleaning chores at least a couple of times a year. But, there's just something about fall that makes me want to go hog wild with a bottle of bleach or vinegar, and a dustpan or two.
I've got a vague idea of the projects i want to tackle, as well as some that i did about this time last year, and i'll list those below (and behind a cut for those of you who don't care), but i was wondering what the rest of you do, if you do any fall cleaning. Are there certain tasks you do to get ready for winter, or projects that you'd love to do if you had time, or help?
Here's my plan for "fall cleaning", which goes above and beyond the regular dusting and vacuuming around furniture and such.
- The carpets are getting shampooed.
-The rugs are getting beaten, and shampooed.
-All the furniture is being moved in preperation for the carpet shampooing, so i'll get a chance to vacuum under and behind all the big pieces
-The windows are getting washed, inside and out. This will require the boyfriend to climb a ladder for the upper windows. He'll complain it isnt neccessary, that the rain washes them.
- While the boyfriend is on the ladder, he can clean the gutters, and install the gutter heat thingies that keep the gutters from filling and freezing over.
- I wonder if it's too early to string the christmas lights... he'll be up on the ladder anyway, right?
- The outside of the house (siding) gets powerwashed to remove all the spiderwebs, dirt, and bugs from this summer.
-The Kitchen cabinets all get wiped down, fronts, tops, shelves (which means they get emptied), and any glass fronts washed.
- Since it's cooler outside, i can open the kitchen window, and set the oven to self clean.
-The shorts and tank tops get packed away (but first i need to do any necessary mending before i put them away for the season)
-Sweaters and coats come out. They all get tried on, any that don't fit get sent off to goodwill.
- The switches on the ceiling fans get switched to reverse the flow of the air to help the heat circulate.
- The batteries in the smoke detectors get changed
- I go through the house with a trashbag ( i do this at spring cleaning too), and fill it with junk that's just been lying around that we don't have a place for.
- I go through the closets and other storage areas of the house for anything that we haven't used since last fall, and won't use this year. It goes off to goodwill.
-I defrost the freezer in the basement. I check the expiration dates on everything, and plan my menus so that i use up what's in there over the next few weeks. These items get rotated up into the main freezer in the kitchen.
- The same goes for anything home-canned. If it's got last year's date on it, it needs to get used up pronto.
-The ceiling light fixtures get taken down and washed. Same goes for the bathroom vent fans.
This list doesnt even include other chores in the garage or the yard. What other things do you guys do to prepare for winter?