moved a grape vine…a thin young one
Monday, June 30, 2008 9 am I decided that the grape vine that I’d planted alongside the thatched gazebo that I had to dismantle last summer, needed to come out and start working on covering the shelter. I dug it up and moved it to the base of the center side, the swingset structure is under this shelter, it’s the foundation for it, actually! Perfect choice for dealing with it, actually. I found that there were good healthy roots on the long brown vine in two places. So I cut one length off and planted it at the lane-house-corner of the structure. The other I left on and just ran the brown along the lawn and covered it with loose sod so it can continue to root. The rooted end of that length is now planted about a meter from the first center side planting. So that makes three plants. I know that grapes are supposed to be trimmed to three, but I'm too greedy for that. The one coming up the corner has three, so there are three wires from it. The rooted area which is still connected to the main vine has two vines and wires. The oridinal center of the plant has six wires. Three vines are on one of them. I could root these, you know, instead of cutting them off and tossing them out, I can root them by covering the vines with soil in a spot and then eventually severing it and moving it over to the other side of the shelter! The greenhouse side!