My DIY project!
Hi! I've already completed the new members questionnaire, but because this is my first "real" post, I think I'll post an updated version: My name is: Natassja, Tassie, Tass My age is: 21 I live in: Montreal, Quebec (that's Canada, folks :P) My relationship status is: Living with my boyfriend I live in an: Apartment, with one bedroom, living room, dining room, bathroom and kitchen, hardwood floors, high ceilings and so much light it's ridiculous! My children and/or pets: Toque (kitten, 6 months old), and Squidgums (hamster, 2 years and 3 months old - wow!) My obsession of the moment is: CLEANING My favorite "guilty pleasure" is: Not doing my homework... (I go to University) My favorite domestic activity is: Rearranging The domestic chore I hate is: Dishes... ugh. And scooping the litter box! X( Are you a beginner domestic diva or an experienced pro?: Beginner ;) So go easy on me, and don't be shy with comments/suggestions! I found this community through: I don't remember... Sorry! Probably a random search. My favorite recipe is: At the moment, banana-chocolate-soy smoothies, yum!!! ^_^ Toss a handful of chocolate chips in the blender with 1/2 cup of soy milk. Blend until chocolate is pretty broken up. Add 2 bananas, bland until smooth. Add soy milk to thin it out as much as you want, then serve and enjoy right away! Anyone who knows me could tell you, we love our cat and we spoil her rotten! Toque is a rescue and a complete sweetheart, a cuddle bug by nature and playful as can be. So when her 6-month birthday rolled around (we assigned her Sept.22 2007 as a birthday based on the vet's best guess, since we didn't know exactly when she was born) I decided she needed something special to commemorate it. She loves to sit by the living room window, so I started with that. We have an apartment on the top floor of our building, so there's plenty to see from up here! But the sill is rather thin, just enough to sit on but not enough to lay on. I got the idea of buying her a cat's window seat like this, but I'm a student so pretty much any price, no matter how low, is prohibitive. Because of this, I had to use what we already had in the apartment: - a shelf my Dad gave me that I hadn't put up yet, roughly 16"x38" of sturdy, medium-weight wood, - an old L-bracket, - some old material and blankets I was holding on to for just such an occasion, - nails and hooks from our tool set, and - my sewing kit. That's right! I didn't buy a single thing for this project, I just recycled, recycled, recycled! To see photos and read how I built it, please look under the cut. Enjoy! :D 1) I started by attaching the shelf to the existing sill with nails and a shelf bracket. 2) I set about covering it with something. I let Toque choose the blanket she wanted - she picked my old white felt girl-guides blanket that my Nana made for me. It's got my old badges sewed on one corner, and it's been on more picnics and camping trips than I care to remember - no wonder Toque liked it, I think it must smell permanently like sap! I'm glad this blanket, tucked away in a box for years, has had the opportunity to be reborn. And don't mind the stains in the photos - it's been washed since I took them! :P 3) I fitted the blanket to the shelf. My original plan was to tuck it underneath the shelf and fasten it there with thumbtacks or staples, but as I let it drape over the edges while I measured, I noticed it caught the warm air from the heater underneath. I rearranged it so that the edge was just above the heater, and let it sit for ten minutes or so. As I suspected, the thick felt caught the heat and held it, heating the whole shelf! I had inadvertently discovered a way to make a heated window shelf. :) And because it doesn't actually touch the radiator, it's not a fire hazard. There's about 1" of clearance. 4) Since the blanket had a blue border, I decided not to let it go to waste. I cut the felt to fit the area, then stitched the border back on in the new shape. Then I stitched the corners closed so they would keep their shape and hold in the heat better. 5) That hook you see in the above photograph was my next step. I added three of them to keep the blanket in place. They were my last three coated hooks - I have plenty of the bare metal kind, but the last thing I want is for her to chew on them and break a tooth, or get caught on them, or hurt herself with them in some other way. So, coated seemed the safest and sturdiest route. Best of all, since I used hooks and not something more permanent, the blanket is removable for washing! And that's about all! I put a pillow on top, played with her a bit, and she settled in nicely. :) Here are some photos of the finished product! (Don't mind the wood on the balcony... we share it with our neighbours, who are an odd bunch...) Toque approves! :3 Bedtime! Night night :) That's all, folks!