I'm wondering if there's anything I can plant NOW, to prevent me from having to pull up and cut the wire next year. I'm presuming that my main options will be shrubs of some type but I'm not all that knowledgeable about these things so I'm hoping other folks can help me think outside of that box.
I'm in zone 7a, in Delaware, 15 miles from the ocean so no worries about ocean breezes or salt.
I'm looking for plants that would do well for any of these purposes:
- Climbers (one section of privacy fence is no longer "private" because of how the boards have shrunk
- Fast-growing hardy shrubs (preferably with flowers and/or really lovely foliage)
- Shade or partial-shade tolerant (part of the fence is shaded by a nearby maple tree)
- Not easy for a dog to destroy in two seconds of digging (something that would take at least a minute for her to dig up!)
- Seeds I can plant now for large hardy flowers next summer.
Thanks for any ideas that you might have!