Sam’s Lottie update
You might remember that I planned to dig over an old strawberry bed, 8' x 20' with a lengthways path, this winter to make 2 new beds (each 8' x 9' with a crossways path) for my veg rotation. That was part of this winter's plan. What I didn't know was we'd have more snow than usual so the ground has been snow-covered, frozen, or waterlogged from meltwater, for much of the time. And my disabled body wasn't at its strongest, which never helps. But I got the first 8' x 9' bed cleared so that can be for legumes this year. The other bed still has strawberries but I had a brainwave: potatoes! I have a bank to dig out and spread on both those beds, making them raised and also covering the old strawberries without any need to fork over the ground. The soil is quite loose there anyway, having been dug 2 or 3 years ago. Yesterday I forked over the only part that did really need it - the old lengthways path. But I didn't bother removing the rooted runners from the strawberries, and the binennial weeds, that had colonised that path. I just turned them under. Then I fed that strip with a bag of muck, not needing to feed the parts at either side because they had compost last year. So now I can start on the bank-clearing. When I've raised both beds, they can be top-dressed with some more muck and also some woodmould that I have bagged up and ready to go. I'm so glad to have reached this stage. Yesterday I achieved more than I'd expected to achieve before physical collapse set in. Wish me luck with the bank-clearing, though. Anything heavy, like spading soil into a barrow and especially moving the barrow when it's full, is a daunting prospect. At least I've aleady spread chopped twigs on the path I'll need to wheel along, for traction. But my best effort might be one barrow a day.