Sam’s Lottie update
I'm expanding my veg rotation from 4 beds to 6. Each bed is about 8'x7' and they fit around some perennials, mainly soft fruit. Last year the rotation was Cucurbits Umbellifers, beets and alliums Legumes, some more cucurbits and some more alliums Brassicas We ran short of brassicas and alliums in our house. There are only 2 of us but we do eat a lot of veg. Meanwhile the strawberry glut was a bit too ridiculous, considering all the other fruit we also have. So I made a new, smaller strawberry bed and now I'm digging up old strawberry plants from a patch about 20'x8'. The soil is very wet after heavy rainfall but being clay, it's not going to dry before the spring, so I'm digging it anyway. Starting at one end, so far I've forked over about the first 3.5'. Progress will never be fast because I'm disabled but slow and steady gets there in the end. Plan for the new rotation, once I have these 2 new beds Cucurbits Umbellifers and beets Brassicas Legumes and some more cucurbits Alliums Brassicas The beds for the legumes and alliums, next season, will be the 2 new beds. I want to lime them because the pH is around 6.5 and this heavy soil responds well to liming. I wouldn't normally lime except before brassicas but last year I limed before my umbellifers, beets and alliums, and they did well. So maybe I'll go ahead and lime the new beds.