This is a VEGAN RECIPE if the yogurt garnish is omitted. This recipe is hearty but exotic, and the cilantro and garlic are delicious.
2 tbsp olive oil
1 c coarsely chopped onion
8 cloves garlic
4 c vegetable stock
1-1/2 c split peas
4 large ripe tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped, OR 1 28 oz can of peeled tomatoes
8 c (about 8 ozs) stemmed and coarsely chopped spinach
1/2 c chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 c chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp snipped fresh dill OR 1 tbsp dried dill
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 c rice
plain yogurt (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent (about 5 minutes).
2. Add 3 c vegetable stock. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil.
3. Stir in the split peas. Reduce the heat; cover and simmer until the split peas are tender but not mushy (about 50 minutes). During the last 15 minutes, stir in the remaining 1 c vegetable stock, the tomatoes, spinach, cilantro, parsley, dill, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
4. While stew is cooking, prepare the rice according to package directions.
5. Serve the stew over rice. Garnish with yogurt, of desired