Yesterday the new lily I planted finally opened and what a show. It’s one of 9 perennials that I planted last fall. Only two star lilies survived. The rest, one additional lily and six iris, never made an appearance. I suspect some animal made off with them and nibbled on the nutritious bulbs and rhizomes all winter.
The problem is that I’ve already received fall catalogs filled with tempting delicacies just like this one. What to do.
I want a fuller, more colorful iris bed, but I don’t want to simply feed the critters. Shall I plant the bulbs in cages? Iris rhizomes are planted barely under the soil, so that won’t work.