Willem dug a bed and I planted out all the free dead plants
Tuesday, July 22, 2008 10:50 AM Willem dug up twenty clods of soil for me. I went through them as we collected them in the laundry basket. I pulled out all the little bits of thyme plants growing and planted them in slices in the ground in the pathway from the house into the valley beside it. I planted about ten clusters. Bravo. I spaced them about eight inches apart and left all the weeds and foliage on the ground surrounding them so that the pathway won’t erode. He dug up a nice foot-wide bed of soil alongside the existing bed which is pretty overgrown but which has a nice heliopsis, a spirea, some blooming soapwort and a few other things closer to the willow bush/tree. I went up to the lane and looked through the dead plants I have been given from the store and found two peonies, a rudbekkia and a half dozen other perennials. I planted them in the bed, then dumped out the rest of the dead annuals, or planted them, just to mix that potting soil into my sandy beds. I left the upside down containers beside the perennials and put the rest in the recycle bin by the lane. I also left the little markers for the annuals in the ground beside them, just in case they aren’t really annuals. I planted the wormwood over by the rest of it, on the other end of the terraced beds of rock garden sin (without) rocks. Now I'm dripping all over and have collapsed on the couch to document this in case I forget later. I'll go cover the bed with straw except for where the plants are, which is most of it. I'll have to move them later if they grow and become large peonies and rudbekkias and that other tall one, oh, asters. But until then, this is home.