Does anyone here use blood meal as a fertilizer? I've heard it's great for deterring deer and rabbits, as well as fertilizing plants with nitrogen. The thing is, I can't find a lot of useful information about it's safety. The box says not to ingest it and to wash skin that comes into contact with it thoroughly. I spread it out over my vegetables and a few other plants yesterday and today I watered it. Yesterday I had no adverse reactions whatsoever. But today after watering all of the plants (I didn't yesterday because it was supposed to rain) I suddenly had a burning, itching sensation in my throat. I tried to clear it, and it got worse. I coughed so hard I threw up and then suddenly had a very severe asthma attack. It was a scary one, too. I thought it passed and I was fine, but later on I sneezed and had another attack very similar but not quite so severe. I showered, spoke with a doctor, etc, and felt like I was doing fine. But when I let the dog out to do her nightly business, in a matter of not even a second, I inhaled whatever it was I choked on earlier and had yet another attack. I've since had one more from trying to clear my throat. As long as they aren't as severe and I have someone to stay up with me, I can wait until morning to go to the doctor. So I'll talk to him then. My question is: Has anyone else had a reaction to blood meal like that? Could it be in the air? I honestly can't think of anything else that would do this to me. I don't even have allergic reactions to poison ivy! Is there a sort of plant that could do that? I have tons of pepper plants this year, but I can't imagine they'd let off some sort of fume that would bother me. The only thing I can think of is that somehow while watering the plants I kicked up some blood meal dust and inhaled it. I can't think of why it still bothers me to go outside on the deck, though. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. I'd like to have some idea when I go to the doctor. Plus I'm just freaking out. I can't remember my last asthma attack it's been so long.